Server 2008 installation in LAB with VMware Workstation
1) Create a New Virtual Machine on the VMware WorkStation.
2) On the New Virtual Machine Wizard Select Custom Radio Button and Click Next Button.
3) Specify and Verify the Hardware Compatibility of Virtual Machine and Click Next Button.
4) Browse ISO File and Click Next Button.
• Installer Disc: if you want to install the Operating system from CD/DVD.
• I will install the Operating system later: this option lets you create Only virtual machine without installing Operating system, you can install it later
5) Specify the Product Key and Select Version of Windows and Enter Full name and Password.
6) Specify the VM Name and Location for Where do you Install and Click on Next Button.
7) Specify the Firmware Type and Click on Next Button.
EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) is a specification for a new generation of system firmware.
8) Specify the Processer Configuration and Click Next Button.
9) Specify the Memory for VM, based on our RAM in our machine and Click on Next Button.
10) Select Network Connection Type and Click on Next Button.
Bridge and NAT both will give the Operating system access to host computers network connections.
Host-Only will have the access to Private virtual network on the host computer
“Don does not use network connection” option will let you create Virtual machine without a network adapter.
11) Select I/O Controller Types and Click on Next Button.
What is I/O Controller?
I/O Controller Hub (ICH) is a family of Intel southbridge microchips used to manage data communications between a CPU and a motherboard, specifically, Intel chipsets based on the Intel Hub Architecture. It is designed to be paired with a second support chip known as a northbridge.
What is SCSI Controller?
A SCSI controller also called a host bus adapter (HBA), is a card or chip that allows a Small Computer System Interface (SCSI) storage device to communicate with the operating system across a SCSI bus.
12) Select Disk Type and Click Next Button.
Serial ATA (SATA, abbreviated from Serial AT Attachment) is a computer bus interface that connects host bus adapters to mass storage devices such as hard disk drives, optical drives, and solid-state drives.
Small Computer System Interface (SCSI) is a set of standards for physically connecting and transferring data between computers and peripheral devices. The SCSI standards define commands, protocols, electrical and optical interfaces.
13) Select Disk for where do you want to create a new virtual disk and Click Next Button.
14) Specify the disk Capacity, and select Radio Button Spilt virtual disk into multiple files and Click Next Button.
What is the advantage of splitting the VD from a single VD?
If it is a large Disk then splitting will make easier to move the virtual machine data to other places.
15) Select Disk file for storing the file and Click on Next button.
16) Verify the Summary, now it is ready to install and click on Finish button.
17) When you Click on Finish, a Virtual machine will be created and will start the OS Installation.
|Log file location||Description|
|$windows.~bt\Sources\Panther||Log location before Setup can access the drive.|
|$windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback||Log location when Setup rolls back in the event of a fatal error.|
|%WINDIR%\Panther||Log location of Setup actions after disk configuration.|
|%WINDIR%\Inf\Setupapi*.log||Used to log Plug and Play device installations.|
|%WINDIR%\Memory.dmp||Location of memory dumps from bug checks.|
|%WINDIR%\Minidump\*.dmp||Location of log minidumps from bug checks.|
|%WINDIR%\System32\Sysprep\Panther||Location of Sysprep logs.|