What is active FTP mode Connectivity?
- The control connection is the path to carry the commands to the particular server from the client.
- This control connection is established by the client to the port 21 at the server.
- After the control connection has established. The server will make the data connection based on the requirement of the client at port 20.
- The file requested by the client through the control connection will sent to the client through the data connection.
- This way of transferring the file is called Active FTP.
What is FTP passive mode Communication?
- In this scenario the control connection is established by the client to the port 21 at the server.
- After the control connection is established the server will not establish the data connection.
- The client will initiate the data connection to the server at the high port in the server.
- Here the server is dumb. The control connection and data connection are established by the client only.
- The client is active and the server is passive hence this way of file transferring is called Passive ftp.
What is the difference between Active mode ftp & ftp passive mode communication?
|Active ftp||Passive ftp|
|Control connection is initiated by client from high port in the client to port-21 in the server.||Control connection is initiated by client from high port in the client to port-21 in the server.|
|Data connection is established by the server from the port-20 of the server to the high port of the client.||Data connection is established by the client from the high port of the client to the high port of the server.|
|Server is active||Server is inactive|
In what scenarios we need to ftp the files from one server to another server?
- For dumping the software, server log files from one system to another system.
- For uploading the configuration files during upgrades and downgrades.
- For downloading the packages from the remote server to the local host.
- For transferring the important configuration files among the environment.
We are referring to the only Enterprise or within organization level usage of FTP connection.
There are plenty of other generics uses of having FTP servers as hosts. We are not referring to them here.